St. Louis is making progress!!! From #1 a couple years ago to #4 in 2013!!!
And the top 5 are...
1. Flint, MI - Violent crimes per 100,000: 2,729.5
2. Detroit, MI - Violent crimes per 100,000: 2,122.6
3. Oakland, CA - Violent crimes per 100,000: 1,993.1
4. St. Louis, MO - Violent crimes per 100,000: 1,776.5
5. Memphis, TN - Violent crimes per 100,000: 1,750.0
4. St. Louis, Mo.
> Violent crimes per 100,000: 1,776.5
> Population: 318,667
> 2012 murders: 113
> Poverty rate: 27.0%
> Percentage of adults with high school degree: 83.9%
There were 1,120.6 aggravated assaults per 100,000 people in St. Louis in 2012, higher than all but three other cities. Moreover, the murder rate of 35.5 cases per 100,000 was the fifth highest of all cities. Although St. Louis’s violent crime was still among the highest in the country, it has improved. There were 80 less violent crimes per 100,000 people in 2012 compared to 2011 — the best improvement of any city on this list, with the drop mostly attributable to 106 less robberies per 100,000 people in 2012 compared to the previous year. Law enforcement officials attributed some of the drop to an increased police presence in high-crime neighborhoods.
Here's our friend Lizzie Weber with an explantion in rap form: